Crock Pot Chicken


This recipe is from A Year of Crockpotting. I will be honest, this was the first time I ever skinned a chicken. GROSS! It was disgusting. I doubt I will do that again or at least not anytime soon. The chicken was good. I wouldn't give it 5 stars, but it wasn't put on the list of never cook this again.

So What does it call for?

Ingredients
1 whole chicken, skinned (4-5 pounds)
2 tsp kosher salt (if you'd like it as salty as the ones in the store, add another 1 tsp.)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (probably not necessary)
4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

Directions

A 6 quart crockpot for a 4 pound bird.

Skin the chicken and get rid of the neck and other stuff from the cavity. This takes a while, and is gross. (If you don't mind skin on the chicken, then you don't have to skin it. We aren't fans of the skin on chicken)

In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out.

Place the bird breast-side down into the crockpot.

Place 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8.

The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat. When I took mine out, the meat was so tender, it fell off the bone.

----------

It was very tender and it done fall right off the bone.

I did double a few of the ingredients. Which ones? dried thyme, black pepper and cayenne pepper. It was not spicy at all. I didn't use 4 cloves of garlic, but only because I only had two.

I would HIGHLY recommend preparing the chicken the night before you are planning to put it into the crockpot.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment